Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Mascara Part One: Drugstore Brands

I've tried a few different mascaras, some drugstore-brand and some prestige products, and I want to share some of my first-hand observations.

Let's start with some drugstore brands.

Almay Intense i-Color Volumizing Mascara.
Good. (You may recall from this post.) It's a decent, stay-put mascara that comes in a few subtle colors. It doesn't seem to add length, but it's one of the few drugstore mascaras that comes in colors. Additionally, Almay is a brand specifically catering to those with sensitive skin.
Covergirl LashBlast Volumizing Mascara.
Not recommended. The wand is thick, round and needlessly bulky; I've actually found the packaging a little difficult to grip while twisting it open. The brush is interesting, with a thicker inner wand, shorter plastic spike-like bristles that have a thicker base to them. This results in better separation of lashes, but less reach means less lashes are being coated. Finally, the formula is prone to lumping. Not recommended.
Maybelline Full'N'Soft Mascara.
Great! I love this mascara. It looks and feels far more natural than other brands I've tried, and it's easier to wash off. Additionally, I didn't have any issues with messiness-- and everyone who knows me knows I will put it through an 8-hour day. This is one of the best mascaras out there for a natural look.
Maybelline GreatLash Waterproof Mascara.
Okay. This is a tried-and-true mascara that's been around for a while. (This mascara in color Royal Blue has been my mom's go-to for as long as I can remember. Thus it was the first mascara I ever applied to myself!) It's a good little mascara, but after a few hours, it does start to flake off and get a little messy. The small brush is easy to apply safely (especially for those uncomfortable or new to applying mascara) but the shape does make it a little difficult to comb between lashes for thorough application.
Maybelline Illegal Length Fiber Extensions Mascara.
Good. This formula is specifically designed to extend the ends of your eyelashes, while defining and separating. It really does add length and definition to eyelashes. I do recommend this mascara if you want your eyelashes to appear longer.

Tune in next time for Mascara Part Two: Prestige Brands!

No comments:

Post a Comment