Thursday, March 6, 2014

Liquid Eyeliner

Most days, I have to stick to a time-sensitive make-up routine that'll get me out of the door. But, hey, I wanna look nice. Some days, I don't have time for priming, layering, contouring, eyeshadow here, eye pencil there, smudging, dabbing, perfecting-- I gots someplace to be.

Cue liquid eyeliner. It's sharp, it can be subtle or dramatic, it's quick and (after a little practice) easy, and it's not necessary to prime or add eyeshadow or anything. (It's great with full make-up looks too, of course, but as far as bare essentials (not the brand), this is a good one to have.) You want those perfect little Audrey Hepburn cat eyes? Grab yourself some liquid eye liner.

You may have noticed there are a lot of choices out there. It's not easy finding a good quality liquid liner.
Maybelline Waterproof Ultra Liner is supposedly a waterproof liquid liner. This product is one I now avoid. The formula crackles, flakes, and even slides off in large chunks.

Mavala Liquid Eyeliner. I will swear by the brand Mavala for their eyelash growth serum, but the eyeliner isn't the best I've ever tried. I own this in navy blue (which truly is a dark navy blue) but I find I don't use it often. It takes a bit long to dry, and then it doesn't last very long. The long brush is good quality, but it's a bit thin and not the easiest to get a non-wiggly line free-hand unless you're a pro.

The Revlon Colorstay Liquid Liner is a decent product. This one has a felt tip rather than a brush, so it's much easier to get a more controlled line.
The Almay Liquid Eyeliner is similar to the Revlon Colorstay version, though I found the quality is a little less than Revlon. The liquid is a little thinner and the felt tip is more likely to fray just a little. Nonetheless, it's another decent easy-to-apply liquid liner.

Revlon was my favorite liquid liner until I discovered Sephora Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner. This is my go-to eyeliner. This once again has a felt tip, which makes application easy and precise. The formula is awesome and lasts! There are a range of colors and different finishes (matte, glossy, metallic, glitter) and you can choose waterproof or regular. This is my #1 liquid eyeliner recommendation.
Benefit Magic Ink Liner uses a richly-black long-lasting formula packed in a super-stylish design. I have two problems with this eyeliner: firstly, the brush is once again the long-haired bristles that aren't quite a point, but rather a tiny chisel-shape, which does not make controlling the line easy. The bristles are also a little stiff with a springiness that isn't ideal for a one-way swept application. Secondly, part of the barrel of the pot came loose and attached itself around the base of the top-- a packaging defect that isn't impossible to fix, but just makes the bottle a little less convenient for me.

Although I only own one color, I will mention the Make Up For Ever Aqua Liner has some great colors and another felt-tip brush, though this one is a tad shorter and thicker than others I've used. I have the #9 Pink color (a cool metallic hot pink) and not only does the intense color stay without smudging or flaking, but the sheen of the metallic finish stays, too. It is expensive, though, especially when Sephora also makes a great liquid pink liner for ten bucks cheaper.

Finally, let's talk about felt-tip eyeliner markers. I've tried three or four different brands and I usually can't even bare to keep them. (I hate throwing away make-up, or even returning it.) I talked to a saleslady about her recommendations for good-quality eyeliner markers, and two brands popped up: NYX and Stila. The saleslady actually recommended NYX over Stila because she complained that the Stila eyeliner marker would make her eyes sting. (Judging by her artfully made-up face, eyelash extensions and all, I'm guessing she wasn't the most sensitive make-up user.) This was enough to dissuade me from trying Stila (so far).

That brings us to the NYX Super Skinny Eye Marker. At first, I liked it as a more subtle liner that could be applied thinner than my usual liquid liner. It looked natural, making my eyelashes look fuller, which I liked quite a bit. But, within a week, the ink stopped flowing to the tip, and no matter how I angled it, shook it, or marked up my hand trying to get that ink flowing, it simply did not flow to the tip, making it near impossible to use as a decent liner. Conclusion: Eyeliner markers don't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment